Saturday, December 24, 2011

Clarification, because I am nothing if NOT judgmental

So.

I realize in my last post I discussed the whole concept of sexual purity, and how even though it isn't something that concerns me, it is a concept some Christians might want to consider based on their personal beliefs.

A day or two later, I discovered this amazing documentary based on a book called The Purity Myth, and I was like, “Oh, my God, I hope no one thinks this is what I meant.”

I want to take this moment to clarify a few things about my post on sexual purity in case they were not evident.

  1. I do not personally believe premarital sex is a sin, and thus, I am not concerned about remaining sexually pure.
  2. However, if you do believe premarital sex is a sin, you really need to take the time and figure out what that should look like in your life. I think of myself as a technical virgin because the boyfriend and I very much enjoy all the non-sex sex. I had to figure out where I drew the line in physical intimacy, something I strongly encourage for everyone.
  3. When I suggested thinking about sexual purity in your own life, I was talking to men as equally as to women. I would never in a million years propose different standards for men than for women.
  4. My main point was to be deliberate and intentional in your intimacy, whatever that looks like for you.
Anyway. I want to apologize if I came off at all as being dreadfully old-fashioned or conservative. One of the points of this blog is to encourage my readers to think, to understand a different perspective, to reflect on their own sexual choices. My intention is never to judge or condemn for choices you may have made differently than my own.

I'll end with this. I was watching this documentary, and this man preaches from the pulpit, “If a woman calls herself a feminist... run! Get away from her as fast as you can!”And I really just wanted to proclaim loudly “Fuck you” to this guy (and anyone else) who still consider women to be chattel.

For a much more biblically sound AND equilateral look at a Christian perspective on sexual purity, check out Pastor Mark Driscoll's sermons. I don't agree with all of them, but they are funny, well-written, and thought-provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Anonymous commenting disabled while my mom is sick.

Comments are moderated because I receive a lot of spam, and I think CAPTCHA is annoying. I reply to most of your comments within the comment section because it inspires discussion between readers. For first-time commenters, I try to reply by email.

Yes, you can comment anonymously. Yes, you can disagree with me. However, as of 05/31/2013, if you are commenting anonymously, and your words are hateful or abusive, I will publish these at my discretion. I like that my blog can be a forum for discussion, but anything that blames or mocks survivors of sexual assault will NOT be tolerated.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2013 Finding My Virginity | Design By 2317studio | Powered By Blogger